Rosenblum & Bianco, LLP

100 Merrick Road

Suite 306E

Rockville Centre, NY 11570

Phone: (516)-255-1800

Fax: (516)-678-1885

The information available on this website is disseminated for informational purposes only. Nothing contained herein, (including, but not limited to, all newsletters, press releases, blog posts, documents, biographical information, descriptions, descriptions of services rendered, comments, responses, emails, or other communications), should be construed as a legal opinion or professional advice.

Summary proceedings that Landlords may commence in Housing Court

  1. Non-Payment Actions: If a tenant is not paying rent and is accruing arrears you may start an action to collect the arrears owed or evict if the tenant does not comply with the terms of the stipulation entered into or after trial decision.

  2. Holdover Actions: If a tenant is violating the terms of their lease you may commence an action for one of two results- (1) to require the tenant to cure the violation or (2) to evict.
    Examples of Holdover actions are- Access, AirBnB, Appliance, Chronic Non-Payment, Collyer (i.e.: hoarding, excess dirt and smell), Drugs, Failure to Recertify, Income Verification, Lease Expiration, Licensee (a resident that is not on the lease is occupying the apartment), Month-to-Month, Non-Primary, Nuisance, Refusal to Renew, Sublet, Superintendent


The Process of a Non-Payment Action:

      First, a Default letter is sent to the tenant by Certified Mail notifying them that they are behind in rent. It is recommended that this notice be       sent on or about the 6th of the month. if the tenant does not pay the arrears in full within five (5) days from service of the letter the case can       then proceed to Rent Demand, a Fourteen (14) Day Notice. with This notice the tenant is a predicate to commencement of the proceeding       and once again puts on the tenant notice that they are still in arrears. If the rent demanded is not paid within 14 days (allowing additional             time to process and serve the demand), then the case can proceed to the Notice of Petition and Petition (Dispossess). Upon receipt of the       Petition the tenant is required to go to Housing Court to obtain a court date. In court, our attorneys will enter into a stipulation with the tenant       wherein a payment schedule is agreed upon and a judgment and warrant are obtained or the matter will be marked for trial.  In the event             that the tenant does not answer the Petition a Non-Military Affidavit will be sent to you to complete and return to our office to obtain a                   Judgment and warrant to continue towards eviction.



Providing Heat & Hot Water

      Building owners are legally required to provide heat and hot water to their tenants.

      Hot water must be provided 365 days per year at a constant minimum temperature

      of 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Heat must be provided between October 1st and

      May 31st, i.e. "Heat Season," under the following conditions:

      Day: Between the hours of 6:00am and 10:00pm, if the outside temperature falls

      below 55 degrees, the inside temperature is required to be at least 68 degrees Fahrenheit.

      Night:Between the hours of 10:00pm and 6:00am, the inside temperature is required

      to be at least 62 degrees Fahrenheit.

HSTPA 2019

      In June 2019 new rent laws were passed. More detailed information is in the HSTPA 2019 PDFs below.





      In the past, the SCRIE/DRIE tax credit would apply to the RGB increase over the frozen rent –

      from when the SCRIE/DRIE became effective

      Now, it seems that SCRIE/DRIE will provide a tax credit from the preferential rent

      Yes, the increases will be smaller in dollar amount but that is the least of your problems

      SCRIE/DRIE will now have to recalculate all tax credits for all tenants in the city and the new

      calculation will be the zero start date

      For more information please see the PDF attached.

Important Information from DHCR Regarding IAIs:  

      Please be advised that on or about February 3, 2020, DHCR's Office of Rent Administration (ORA) will be releasing its new online service       that will enable rental property owners to report information, now required by law, concerning Individual Apartment Improvements (IAIs) for       rent-regulated apartments.

      The Housing Stability and Tenant Protection Act (HSTPA) of 2019 required DHCR to develop a Notification Form to be filed with DHCR by       building owners for all IAIs made in vacant and occupied apartments. The filing of the Notification Form needs to be accompanied by Before       and After photographs of the subject improvement(s), which will be maintained by DHCR in an electronic format. In accordance with the             HSTPA, DHCR has also developed a Tenant Informed Consent Form to be signed by tenants who consent to have an improvement made in       their occupied apartment before it is filed by building owners with DHCR.

      All owners who are planning on making IAIs in vacant or occupied apartments subject to rent stabilization or rent control are advised to             prepare in advance and begin taking before and after photographs which will be required to be filed electronically along with the forms             described above.  

      To file these forms, building owners will need to access DHCR's Owners Rent Regulation Application (ORRA) system on the DHCR website.       Those owners who have never previously accessed ORRA will be required to email in order to acquire a User ID and             Password. For the required information to include in the email, visit the ORRA webpage.

      Please note, paper submissions of these forms will not be accepted.